Also known as: American Marigold, , or Aztec Marigold
Uses: Culinary, Food Dye, Herbal Tea, Medicinal, Poultice, Topical Skin & Eyes (against aging), Laxative, Insecticide effect in soil
Parts used: Leaves, Flowers, Roots
Preparation: Fresh, Dried, Flower Essence, Infusion, Decoction, Poultice
- Symbolizes: Herb of the Sun
- Language of Flowers meaning: Cruelty, Grief, Jealousy
- Associated with: Leo and Sacral Chakra
- Element: Fire
- Governed by: Sun
The Crackerjack Marigold flower can be used fresh in salads, casseroles, omelettes or stir fried alone or with vegetables. These flowers are pleasantly bitter to them that adds flavour and colour and made into a dressing, be infused in water or for making tea. The flower is used as a substitute for Saffron to colour dishes. The flowers can be used fresh or picked to dry for later use in the kitchen.
Health and Wellness
- Flowers, Leaves & Roots
The Cracker Jack Marigold is capable of destroying parasitic worms, in particular human intestinal helminthsis (worms). It is also used as a digestive (for gas), diuretic, sedative and to stimulate menstrual flow. It is rich in the anti-oxidant lutenist which is a compound that studies suggest may improve visual acuity in patients with retinal degeneration.
- Fresh or dried Crackerjack Marigold flowers can be used internally for indigestion, colic, severe constipation, coughs and dysentery, and topically for sores, ulcers, eczema. sore eyes and rheumatism. They can be made into a strong infusion to treat colds, mumps and as protection for the eyes from the ravages of sun and aging.
- Fresh Crackerjack Marigold leaves are used topically as a paste to treat boils, carbuncles and earaches.
- Crackerjack Marigold roots are used as a laxative.
As a Flower Essence:
Crackerjack Marigold Flower Essence enhances right brain function and strengthens ones intuition. It improves communication in relationships by lessening the need for concrete proof in what one is hearing thereby improving listening abilities. Marigold supports growth, change and protects from viruses in our energy field. Marigold can increase the understanding of academic material.
- Natural Insecticide
Crackerjack Marigold’s make a wonderful garden companion flower for their insecticidal properties to reduce infestations of bugs that are not beneficial to garden plants. This is a combination of scent and secretion that stays in the soil for a few months after they are no longer in the bed.
This post may contain Affiliate Links for your convenience, thank you in advance for your support! Renee
Traditional uses and properties of herbs are for educational purposes only. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Every attempt has been made for accuracy, but none is guaranteed. Any serious health concerns or if you are pregnant, you should always check with your health care practitioner before self-administering herbs.