Located in the throat at the voice box and Adams apple areas, the Throat Chakra governs the voice, endocrine gland, thyroid and communication.
It relates to truth, nobility, serenity, spiritualism, thoughtfulness and kindness and is associated with faith, caring, peace and fidelity.
Read more on subtle Chakra Energy Centers
The guided patterns Awareness through Movement® lessons can increase ones ability to sing higher or lower, speak with more groundedness, swallow easier and unblock air passageways going down into the torso. Mobilizing unused muscles and spinal movements can free up any restrictiveness limiting information and fluid going upwards into the head and brain as well.
The Throat Chakra is located where the spinal column leaves the girdle of the shoulder blades and upper ribs, and reflects the separation of the skull to be free-floating above. Have you ever considered how your head sits on top of a vertebra that is on top of a few others before the upper cradle of the ribs and shoulders?
In Nonviolent Communication, Dr. Marshall Rosenberg discussed how the base of the throat area is the line that separates reaction with thinking and speaking from connection to universal values increasing empathy. His focus of empathy was an action with an intention of the heart (or values). If one was speaking only from the mind only the result would be disconnection and conflict.
This Feldenkrais Practitioner, who mentors and coaches using Nonviolent Communication, can see clues in others who appear to be living in their heads, so to speak. It is evident in their facial features, colouring and body posture. Sharing lessons in either Awareness through Movement® or Awareness through Communication this Practitioner can see the changing environment in ones colouring, features and postural changes.
Like diet the emotional grouping in this picture can be eased by Awareness through Movement® Lessons.
Try this example experience of 12 steps to get in touch with your somatic awareness capabilities:
- In either a sitting or prone position begin to slide your tongue over your lower lip as though you where going to touch your chin with it. Repeat a number of times. Take your time and focus on observing your tongue. As you slide it over your lip at what point does it begin to feel stretched.
- After many times stop and observe where your attention is going.
- Come back again and repeat steps in #1, only this time notice if you are locking your head. If you where chasing your chin would you hold your head upright in a locked position? Unlock your head and repeat a few times. Where does your head go?
- Pause for a few breaths.
- Come back and this time as you take you tongue downward towards your chin begin to synchronize your exhale. Repeat for 7 or 8 exhales.
- Pause for a few breaths and notice if you feel anything differently.
- Come back now and begin to take your tongue upward over your top tip. Repeat this many times as though you where going to catch your nose. Are you chasing your nose right from the beginning of this movement or have you locked your neck.
- Pause and rest.
- Come back taking your tongue upward towards your nose and begin to breathe inward. Sync this pattern and repeat 7 or 8 times.
- Stop and rest.
- Come back once more and now alternate. As your exhale take your tongue towards your chin and as you inhale take your tongue over your upper lip towards your nose. Notice when the front of your neck is long and when is it short. Repeat 7 or 8 times.
- When you stop notice any changes. How do you feel your tongue inside your neck and mouth. How to you feel the front and back of your neck.
This is a small example of waking up to conscious awareness through movement that is available when you explore the Feldenkrais® Method of Somatic experiencing. Becoming consciously aware through employing sensibilities via experience and not through contrived thought patterns of creating a movement of what you think it should be, the result is an increase in more parts joining into the patterning. This creates a different movement that results in a higher level of safety and confidence spontaneously.
For more information on #yyj Feldenkrais® opportunities visit
Renee’s business webpages @ Inside Awareness
Renee has been sharing Feldenkrais® professionally since 2007 through personal session called Functional Integration® and in group workshops called Awareness through Movement® Lessons.
- Awareness through Movement for the 6th & 7th Chakras
- Awareness through Movement for 4th Chakra
- Awareness through Movement for 3rd Chakra
- Awareness through Movement for 2nd Chakra
- Awareness through Movement for 1st Chakra
- Books by Moshe Feldenkrais
- Awareness through Movement
- The Potent Self
- Body & Mature Behavior
- Moshe on Kindle
- Thinking & Doing